Monday, December 28, 2009

smile




Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking.
When there are clouds in the sky
you'll get by.
If you smile through your pain and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun shining through
For you.
Light up your face with gladness,
Hide every trace of sadness.
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying.
You'll find that life is still worthwhile-
If you just smile.


How come that certain songs come to mind on such contrasting occasions?
Charlie Chaplin's "smile" started playing in my mind this morning and with all the cheerfulness around me and all the best reasons I have to feel happy, somehow this special tune's consoling quality seems to be what I need this time... The definite sadness of the melody, drawing the perfect landscape for the lyrics with their simple wishful optimism ending, feels totally soothing whatever seems to be aching... Is it nostalgia, yearning of times past or is it the after the high of the holidays blues that may be starting creeping upon me?
My beautiful Christiana's birthday is today, and I am so thrilled she was with us until yesterday. Mark is still here for another couple of days and I am so grateful for who they are and for being with us this Christmas. Therefore I need to follow Charlot and...
Light up my face with gladness, Hide every trace of sadness and be exuberantly happy!


"that kind of dance", monotype with chine-collé on Rives BFK
Anna Mavromatis, 2009

1 comment:

  1. Your sense of composition and balance shines throughout this fine art work.

    Thank you for sharing,
    Egmont

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails