Friday, November 13, 2009

fold, fold, fold and... voilà!



One sheet of paper folded, refolded and ending up with a self bound book; the pages resembling envelopes, ready to accept and store whatever one's heart desires! I inserted samples of imprints from my collection of Chinese seals, ending up with a content fitting perfectly with the materials used to form and illustrate my "envelope" book. I used a washi type of paper marbled by me using the suminagashi method. The cover comes from a stack of some of my not so successful monoprints...
This structure was "invented" by the genius Hedi Kyle, the most respected bookbinder/designer/restorer/ paper expert I so much admire. She named it "blizzard book", because she constructed it during a blizzard, while stuck in her Philadelphia home unable to go out... I call it "envelope book", a more prosaic name but with that charming aura brought by the endless number of possible messages it may contain, store and hide! I know I will be making many more...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anna,
    I just found you through $ seasons in a life. Lovely blog and wonderful work. I looked at your website and was very inspired!
    best,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie,
    Thank you for your kind words.
    I stopped by your blog and loved what I saw. I know I will be visiting often...
    ttys,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails