Friday, October 2, 2009

the story behind the young girl...

... on that old photograph.
Everything I make is usually influenced by a "story"; sometimes the inspiration is generated by the story, other times the resulting sentiments take me to a direction that in the process the starting point becomes unrecognizable, perhaps lost or totally forgotten. Of course there is also the unexpected and unplanned wave of creative inspiration that usually in inexplicable and unexpected ways translates into a work that generates more starting points for further artistic investigation. In this case it's the actual story who came to life and in a direct way demanded from me a certain documentation. And I responded by creating this latest work in a form of a concertina structure book using monoprints with the image digitally generated and color altered for this purpose.
The photo of this young girl belongs to a great aunt of mine, long gone. I remember her as a very old woman, dressed in black, smiling with my dance performances choreographed by my sisters for the occasion of her visit . Growing up I learned more and more about her and her rather sad, shadowed by tragedies life. The photo of her as a little girl intrigues me. It's almost like trying to tell me something, ask me of something, almost pleading. She was always dressed in black and this in my mind represented her "black" (dark) life. So in this book I gave her a life of colors and I used a few simple sentences handwritten also in color to document the existence of her photo, of her life and of this book:


Her name was Fotini.
She grew up, she fell in love, she had children.
I've heard talk about dark times; I've also heard tales of goodness.
Her life was hard, bleak, difficult.
Now she is gone, her life... done.
So many years later this old photo is here with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails